Bone densitometry measures bone density.
Bone densitometry is a simple and painless exam, with no side effects!
This exam is intended for anyone at risk of developing osteoporosis.
Make an appointment by calling the following Radiologie PB clinic:
- The Longueuil clinic located on Chambly Road: (450) 646-3520
- About 10 minutes for the exam
- You should allow 45 to 60 minutes for the entire duration of your visit.
The cost of this exam is covered by the RAMQ (one per year).
You must register at the front desk upon arrival at the clinic.
Make sure to bring the following with you:
- Your health insurance card (RAMQ)
- A valid prescription signed by your doctor
To avoid any delays, we recommend you arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment.
It is important to stop taking calcium pills and vitamins at least 24 hours preceding the exam. In order not to skew the results, a waiting period of two weeks is required before a bone densitometry if you have had exams such as: barium meal, small intestine, barium enema, and nuclear medicine exams.
After registering, a member of our team will escort you to the changing room where you will put on an exam gown. You will also need to remove any jewellery and other metal objects that may interfere with the image quality.
You will then be taken to the exam room, where you will be asked to lie on your back and remain still. A small device will move above you to collect the data on the body part being analyzed.
It is important to carefully follow the instructions in order to carry out the exam correctly.
The data obtained are analyzed by a computer and the results are interpreted by the radiologist. The report is mailed to your doctor.
- Arrive at least 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment to fill out a questionnaire
- Notify the technologist if you are pregnant or think you might be
- Bring your health insurance card (RAMQ)
- Bring a valid prescription signed by a physician